MegaRobo researches and develops artificially intelligent robots known for their ease of use, safety profile, and easy integration into other products. They offer flexible and practical automation for life sciences, intelligent retail, manufacturing, and unmanned retail industries.
MegaRobo designs robotic baristas to serve coffee in public places. These easy-to-install robots are plug-and-play and ideal for shopping malls, office complexes, and subway entrances.
To interact with the robo-barista, customers use an app to scan the QR code indicating the type of coffee they want. The robotic arm then selects the cup size, controls sugar volume, dispenses, and even prints the customer’s name on the cup, similar to the service customers are used to at other popular coffee outlets.
Coffee-lovers can even place orders online in advance before heading to the nearest MegaRobo coffee machine to pick up their double-espresso, caramel cappuccino, or latté on the run.
With a highly precise robotic barista arm to make coffee, MegaRobo wanted to bring its new barista idea to the market. They were looking for a partner that had both technology knowledge and manufacturing expertise to take the product from concept to design right through to manufacturing and distribution. They also wanted to partner with a company that had a good understanding of modern retail experience demands.
MegaRobo was seeking a partner with similar product experience to their own who could speed up their development cycle. They needed supply chain expertise and help in seamlessly moving their product from introduction to mass production and distribution.
Flex took on this project and, within two months from project kick-off, produced a customized demo unit. Our services included:
Design and engineering
- Standard device research and modification
- Modularization design
- Quick change-and-replace processes
- Water, electric, and gas routing
- Machine API secondary development
- Food safety for production readiness and certification
Software development and support
- Software architecture
- Layout and automation process design
- PLC/robotic arm programming
- WeChat application development for product function
Advanced mechanical solutions
- Product enclosure with sheet metal frame design and fabrication
- Machine aesthetics
Supply chain management
- Robust supply chain system setup
- Lean and scalable supply chain
Key success factors
With prior experience working on a similar product, we were able to deliver targeted solutions to get the automated coffee vending machine to market.
We applied our knowledge from multiple industries to integrate various technologies into the final product. We used our know-how in robotic arm programming, WeChat app development, and advanced mechanicals solutions. In addition, we made sure that it met all food safety regulations.
Pairing our past experience with a wide net of knowledge from various technologies and industries, we were able to deliver results at a very quick pace.
Flex had the necessary innovation, experience, and capability to support our effort to bring convenient automation to everyday lives.
— Daniel Huang, CEO, MegaRobo
- Seamless integration of multiple technologies to enable connected intelligence in a consumer-based product
- Swift progress from concept to delivery with first machine completed in February 2019, only four months after the October 2018 project kick-off
- Subsequent machines delivered in April and June 2019